October 20 Update: Course Cancelled + Additional Fall Sessions
Sadly, we had to cancel this session due to low registrations. Thanks for your interest! Check out our other upcoming course sessions to register.
Exclusive VICA Member Bonus Discount: Pay only $299/registration (SAVE $200!) when you register more than one person - Call us to register and receive this special discount: 1-877-847-6471
Detailed planning is becoming a lost art in the construction industry. This course aims to reverse that trend by providing forepersons and crew supervisors with a model that will improve crew performance – which will in turn improve overall company performance! Course material is designed to teach a strong foundational knowledge of task planning that can be applied to any work and is equally applicable to the forepersons of trade and general contractors.
Using interactive instruction and practical individual and group exercises, you’ll walk through a back-to-basics approach to work planning. By the end of the course, you will have experience building your own work plan and 2 week lookahead schedule for an example activity. You’ll also walk away with blank templates you can use on-the-job. Designed for crew supervisors of all levels of experience and all trades, this course also serves as a good back-to-basics refresher for superintendents.
What will you learn?
Strengthen your skill (and value to your company) by gaining a strong foundation in practical task planning. Working with hands-on, practical exercises, you will practice working through the various elements needed to put together a complete activity plan for your crew. Course topics include calculating manpower needs, determining material and equipment needs, building quality and safety into your plan and much more!
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Identify the benefits of planning and why we do it
- Understand what planning is, who should do it, what we should plan and when
- Follow the Planning Cycle of Plan, Do, Check, Act
- Know where to gather the information needed to put together a solid plan
- Plan crew task activities including:
- Safety considerations
- Quality controls
- Manpower needs
- Material needs
- Equipment needs
- Working with other trades
- Build a 2 week lookahead schedule
- Create daily crew work plans
- Monitor and correct/ update the plan if it goes off track
- Communicate the plan to others
- Using templates provided, develop their own task plans, 2-week lookaheads and daily crew plans
- Gather useful historical information to improve their future planning
- Live, Online, Instructor-led training, with a maximum class size of 12-16 students.
- This course is facilitated by the instructor on the Zoom platform. Access information from the instructor will be provided to you in advance of the training.
- Two afternoon sessions (4 hours each) over two days:
- Day 1: Wednesday, October 21: 12:30-4:30pm
- Day 2: Wednesday, October 28: 12:30-4:30pm
- Frequent breaks and “stretch seconds” are included to help keep attendees alert and engaged.
- Attendance in both sessions is mandatory for course completion. *Please note that If a student misses a class session, we are unable to transfer registration or provide a partial refund of the registration fees.
Course Requirements (Technology & Participation)
This course requires interaction and participation from both the instructor and students. In order to attend, you’ll must make sure you have the following:
- Computer or laptop with webcam: This course will involve on-screen interaction with your instructor and classmates, reading/viewing on-screen content like slides or videos, and interacting via typing with questions or responses. For this reason, you must have a webcam and use a full computer/laptop, and we do not permit students to attend using a tablet or cell phone.
- A quiet space with minimal distractions: Please plan to be fully engaged in the class, and clear your work schedule just as you would for attendance in an in-class program.
These discounts aren't available online - call us directly to access the exclusive discounts below! (1-877-847-6471)
- VICA members qualify for bonus pricing ($299/person) when you register more than one person in this course!
- VRBA members qualify for discounted pricing - call us for more details. Make sure you tell us you're calling for the VRBA discount!
This course is offered in partnership with local construction associations in the Lower Mainland (VRCA) the Southern Interior (SICA), and across Canada. You’ll be participating in a cohort with industry peers from throughout these regions.