Gold Seal CertificationSTANDARD OF EXCELLENCE

Gold Seal Certification (GSC) is recognized as the standard of excellence for Canadian construction management professionals. Since 1991, more than 10, 000 industry professionals have earned their GSC. Established by the Canadian Construction Association (CCA), the program includes Gold Seal Certification (GSC), as well as an Intern designation, Gold Seal Intern (GSI). Ongoing professional development recognition is also available for existing GSC leaders through the Professional, Gold Seal Certified (P.GSC) designation.

Our industry demands construction leaders that are able to exercise their knowledge, skill, and experience in high pressure, high stakes roles every day. Earning your GSC demonstrates to your peers, colleagues, and the construction community that you have what it takes to lead and execute with excellence.

VICA is proud to participate as a partner in the Gold Seal Program by providing training and education programming that meets Gold Seal Standards and working to review applications as well as assist candidates through their application process.


WHAT IS GOLD SEAL CERTIFICATION?

GSC is a credential designed for working professionals involved in general, electrical or mechanical contracting, roadbuilding and heavy construction, or specialty trades. Candidates are certified in a chosen designation, and must demonstrate that they meet application requirements in both industry experience and professional development training/education. GSC is offered in 6 designations: Estimator, Superintendent, Project Manager, Owners' Construction Manager, Safety Coordinator, and in 2017 a new Foreman designation is being introduced. When a candidate believes they meet the application requirements, they submit an application for GSC. If approved, an applicant must successfully pass the Gold Seal exam for their chosen designation to become certified.

VICA Training Gold Seal Certification - 6 Designations


APPLICATION AND EXAM

GSC is different from other professional designations in that you apply for certification after you have met the certification requirements. Emphasis in GSC is placed on your construction management experience. Up to 75% of the application is based on your industry experience working in your chosen designation. The remaining 25% is a mandatory education/professional development component.

Applicants apply online at the Gold Seal Certification website (www.goldsealcertification.com). Once submitted, your application is screened through two levels of evaluation. First, it is reviewed at a local level here at VICA. We review your application to make sure you meet the basic requirements and have included all required documentation. Next, if approved at the local level, your application is assessed by a national review board where it is either approved or declined. If approved, you move on to the examination stage. GSC exams are scheduled nationally three times each year, and are conducted at a local level, here at our VICA offices in Victoria and Nanaimo.


VICA: YOUR GOLD SEAL CERTIFICATION SUPPORT TEAM

VICA Training & Education is here to help you through the application process. We assist many candidates and are available to answer questions, provide support, and give you advice on how to navigate this exciting step in your professional development. Gold Seal Certification is a personal and professional acheivement that demonstrates your construction leadership excellence, and we can't wait to help you get started!

You can get started by reviewing the GSC Application Resources and FAQ provided for you in the links at the top of this page. Don't forget to check out VICA's in-class and online courses that will help you earn Gold Seal Credits as you prepare to apply for certification.

We also want to connect with you! Sarah Bartfai, VICA Member Services & Events Coordinator, is our resident Gold Seal Certification Expert. You can reach her via email at sarah@vicabc.ca, or phone 250-388-6471.