Recently updated in 2021, this course has been created by the industry and for the industry – developed by the Canadian Construction Association (CCA) to give participants an opportunity to see how different pieces in the construction industry fit together.
Who Should Take Construction 101?
This course has something for everyone – whether you have years of experience or are new to the industry. Don’t be misled by the ‘101’ – over 30% of our course attendees have 10+ years of industry experience! Perfect for procurement professionals and buyers, developing leaders, as well as operations and administrative staff. This course is the industry knowledge boot camp that will support your team’s success.
What Will You Learn?
You’ll get valuable insight into the various industry stakeholders and their roles/responsibilities, construction documents and contracts, risk management, construction law, bidding and tendering, and more!
What Our Students Say:
- “Incredible information and should be taken by all in the construction industry. The knowledge gained from this course is beyond doubt the best!”
You’re in Good Company!
Over 90 companies have participated in our Construction 101 course — including local municipalities, federal agencies, large-scale general contractors, and small and mid-sized trade contractors. Click here for a full list.
- ABBA Floor Coverings Ltd.
- Advicas Group Consultants Inc.
- AFC Construction
- Alpine Insulation Ltd.
- Apex Steel & Gas Ltd.
- Aral Construction
- Banyan Group of Companies Ltd.
- Barkley Project Group Ltd.
- BC Ministry of Advanced Education
- BC Ministry of Citizens’ Services
- BC Ministry of Health
- BC Transit
- Brenric Construction Ltd.
- Built Contracting Ltd.
- Canem Systems Ltd.
- CanWest Mechanical Inc.
- Capital Regional District
- Century Group Inc. Constructors
- Chew Contracting
- City of Duncan
- City of Langford
- City of Nanaimo
- City of Victoria
- Coastal Community Credit Union
- Defense Construction Canada
- District of Oak Bay
- District of Saanich
- Draycor Construction Ltd.
- Durwest Construction Management Inc.
- Ecklundson Construction Ltd.
- Emco Corporation
- Farmer Construction Ltd.
- Fisk Construction Inc.
- Flynn Canada Ltd.
- Greater Victoria Housing Society
- Heritage Masonry
- Hesquiat First Nation
- Houle Electric Ltd.
- Houston Electric and Controls Ltd.
- Infrastructure BC (Partnerships BC)
- Island Floor Centre Ltd.
- Island Health
- Ketza Pacific Construction (1993) Ltd.
- Kinetic Construction Ltd.
- Kingsview Construction Ltd.
- Kitasoo First Nation
- Knappett Industries (2006) Ltd.
- Knappett Projects Inc.
- Lewis Sheet Metal Ltd.
- M’Akola Development Services
- McGregor & Thompson Hardware Ltd. | Shanahan’s
- Method Engineering & Building Services Ltd.
- Milestone Equipment Contracting Inc.
- MKM Projects Ltd.
- MNP LLP
- Momentum Design Build
- Morinwood Mfg Inc
- Nelson Roofing & Sheet Metal Ltd.
- Omicron Construction Ltd.
- On Point Project Engineers Ltd.
- Osprey Electric Ltd.
- Parker Johnston Industries Ltd.
- Playsted Sheet Metal
- PR Bridge Systems Ltd.
- R.C. Roofing Ltd.
- Redline Glass Ltd.
- Ron’s Drywall Ltd.
- Saywell Contracting Ltd.
- Scansa Construction
- School District 61 (Greater Victoria)
- School District 68 (Nanaimo Ladysmith)
- School District 79 (Cowichan Valley)
- Summit Mechanical Systems Ltd
- Surespan Structures Ltd.
- Tedford Overhead Doors and Gates Ltd.
- TerraWest Environmental Inc.
- ThyssenKrupp Elevator (Canada) Limited
- Tla-o-qui-aht First Nation
- Township of Esquimalt
- Tycon Steel (1998) Inc.
- University of Victoria
- Vancouver Island Regional Library
- Van-Isle Coatings & Sealants Ltd
- Verity Construction Ltd.
- Victoria Glass Inc.
- Wescor Contracting Ltd.
- West Bay Mechanical Ltd.
- Westmark Construction Ltd.
- Project Management
- Project Delivery Methods
- Project Start Up to Close Out
- Accounting & Admin
- Recording Progress
- Contract Law
- Importance of Contract Time
- Recording the Project
- Changes to the Contract
- Breach of Contract
- Builders Lien Act
- Construction Documents
- Common Features of Construction Contracts
- Typical Contract (CCDC 2)
- Format of Specifications
- Format of Drawings
- Invitation to Tender & Bid Documents
- Bidding & Receiving Bids
- Estimating Process
- Best Practices
- Calling for Bids
- Instructions to Bidders
- Bid Evaluation & Contract Award
- Post-Tender Negotiations
- Risk Management
- Property & Liability Risks
- Wrap-Up Policies
- Why Contractors Fail
Plus so much more!
Course fee includes shipping* over $200 of hard-copy student materials directly to students, including:
- Construction 101 Student Manual with detailed material developed exclusively for the construction industry by the CCA
- VICA’s custom bonus manual containing:
- Full example copies of selected CCA/CCDC contracts:
- CCA 1: Stipulated Price Subcontract
- CCDC 2: Stipulated Price Contract
- CCDC 5A: Construction Management Contract – for Services
- CCDC 5B: Construction Management Contract – for Services and Construction
- Builders Lien Act Guide
- Full example copies of selected CCA/CCDC contracts:
- *Please note: Some remote and remote/rural areas are subject to additional courier costs and you will be required to pay an additional $75 fee for delivery of your course materials. We will get in touch with you if this is the case.
- Live, Online, Instructor-led training (via Zoom), with a class size of 12-16 students.
- Four (4) morning sessions (four hours each) over four days, from 8:00am-12:15pm *Please note, effective December 2020, we have added an additional 15 minutes to each course day, with sessions ending at 12:15pm daily, instead of 12:00pm.
Construction 101 is delivered in partnership between your local construction associations on Vancouver Island (VICA) & the Lower Mainland (VRCA) and you’ll be participating in a cohort with industry peers from across these regions.