Course Rescheduled: June 15, 16 & 17
This course has been rescheduled with an updated course title for June 15-17. Thanks for your interest! Check out the link below for more information
- CCDC Contracts: Supplementaries & Non-Standard Clauses | June 15, 16 & 17 | MORE INFO
Remember when it comes to contracts, it’s not about your own thoughts and assumptions; it’s about what is written!
What has caused changes to industry standard contract clauses? Allocation of risk often gets modified in contract clauses based on Project Owners or their lawyers’ past experiences. The issue with modifications to contract clauses is the lack of understanding of what these clauses mean and associated risks to Project Owners, Consultants, Contractors and other Stakeholders when they are changed.
When contract clauses are modified, and these risks materialize:
- disputes arise,
- relationships are damaged,
- project costs can increase,
- schedules can be compromised,
- bidders can jeopardize their businesses and
- the potential for litigation increases.
It’s critical to be aware: in the nuances of the prime contract clauses, there are implications and requirements impacting all partners including the Consultants and Subcontractors.
What will you learn?
Facilitated by VICA’s most in-demand course instructor, Debbie Hicks, this course puts you front-and-centre with a training team of 3 ICI practitioners offering decades of experience from the perspectives of Project Owner, Consultant and Contractor.
By the end of this course you will learn:
- WHAT the risks are in CCDC, CCA and provincial standard contracts that have been modified by supplementary conditions,
- WHY these clauses are modified, and
- COSTS associated with these clauses.
This course takes a practical, hands-on approach to learning. Your instructors will lead you through interactive exercises to examine several non-standard contract clauses, giving you an opportunity to apply what is discussed in class.
Who should attend:
This course was designed by an inter-disciplinary ICI team with the intention of fostering dialogue and understanding between stakeholders across the ICI sector. We recommend this course for mid-management personnel from the following roles/disciplines who are familiar with standard contract clauses:
- General Contractors and Subcontractors: Construction Company Owners/Managers, Project Managers, Commercial Managers, Business Development Managers
- Project Owners, Third Party Project Managers (For the Project Owner), and P3 Developers
- Architects and Engineers
- Allied Professionals including: Bonding and Insurance specialists, Lawyers
- Live, Online, Instructor-led training, with a maximum class size of 25 students.
- This course is facilitated on the Zoom platform. Access information from the instructor will be provided to you in advance of the orientation and training.
- Orientation Session (30 minutes):
- Thursday, April 29: 2:00-2:30 pm, via Zoom, access information provided by instructor ahead of the training.
- Three (3) morning sessions (4 hours each) over 3 days
- Day 1: Tuesday, May 4: 7:30am -11:30am
- Day 2: Wednesday, May 5: 7:30am -11:30am
- Day 3: Thursday, May 6: 7:30am -11:30am
- Attendance and participation in all three course sessions is mandatory for course completion. *Please note that If a student misses a class session, we are unable to transfer registration or provide a partial refund of the registration fees.
Course Requirements (Technology & Participation)
This course requires full face-to-face interaction and participation from both the instructor and students. In order to attend, you must make sure you have the following:
- Computer or laptop with webcam (webcams are mandatory): This course will involve 100% on-screen interaction with your instructor and classmates, reading/viewing on-screen content like slides or videos, and interacting via typing with questions or responses. For this reason, you must have a webcam and use a full computer/laptop, and we do not permit students to attend using a tablet or cell phone.
- A quiet space with minimal distractions: Please plan to be fully engaged in the class, and clear your work schedule just as you would for attendance in an in-class program.
Course Instructors | BIOS & INFO
- Debbie Hicks, BSc | DSH Consulting - Course Facilitator
- Dean C. Slater, P. Eng., GSC
- Bill Chomik, AAA, SAA, OAA, AIBC, FRAIC, RCA | Kasian, Senior Principal, Vice President Institutional
- Hugh Loughborough, P. Eng., GSC
This course is delivered in partnership with local construction associations across western Canada and Ontario. You will be participating with a cohort of industry peers from throughout these regions.