Registration Closed + Upcoming Courses
This course is now closed for registrations, thanks for your interest! Check out the links below for other upoming courses on similar topics:
- Project Delivery Methods | May 18-20 | MORE INFO
- Project Close-Out | May 26-27 | MORE INFO
- Project Planning for Success | June 29-30 | MORE INFO
From estimating to projecting your ROI, this course will develop your skills and knowledge of how to manage a construction project. We will use the PMBoK (5th Edition) approach to gain an understanding of the various processes and constraints that project managers face on the job. You will also learn how to successfully manage a complex project, and receive essential project planning tools to avoid risk and benefit your bottom line.
Project Management is designed for construction owners, managers, estimators, supervisors, and staff.
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Understand the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBoK 5th Ed) and the estimating process
- Use the appropriate CCDC/CCA contract and/or Purchase Orders for the project
- Use risk management tools and mitigate for risk
- Know the importance of scheduling and use appropriate scheduling tools
- Understand the components of projects – labour, materials and overheads – and use of techniques to maximize job profitability and minimize costs
- Do post-mortem analysis after project completion
- Use Construction Industry Codes to analyze costs vs budget
- Understand how job costing fits within the overall accounting systems
- Comprehend Return on Investment (ROI) and how this impacts the required project profit margins
- Understand the contract process from bidding to project close-out
- Use job profit forecasting methods to integrate into company forecasting systems
Course Format & Location Information
- Live, Online, Instructor-led training, with a maximum class size of 20 students.
- This course is facilitated by the instructor on the Zoom platform. Access information from the instructor will be provided to you in advance of the training.
- Four (4) morning sessions (4 hours each) over four days:
- Day 1: Monday, May 3: 8:30am-12:30pm
- Day 2: Tuesday, May 4: 8:30am-12:30pm
- Day 3: Wednesday, May 5: 8:30am-12:30pm
- Day 4: Thursday, May 6: 8:30am-12:30pm
- Attendance in all four sessions is mandatory for course completion. *Please note that If a student misses a class session, we are unable to transfer registration or provide a partial refund of the registration fees.
Optional Assignment (for additional Gold Seal credit):
An optional assignment will be available to complete after the in-class course for students seeking additional Gold Seal credits. This online component is administrated by the instructor and will be provided and explained to students by the instructor in-class. It will be based on the in-class material and may include some research, reading, and answering questions (7-8 hours) that will be marked by the instructor.
Course Requirements (Technology & Participation)
This course requires full face-to-face interaction and participation from both the instructor and students. In order to attend, you must make sure you have the following:
- Computer or laptop with webcam (webcams are mandatory): This course will involve 100% on-screen interaction with your instructor and classmates, reading/viewing on-screen content like slides or videos, and interacting via typing with questions or responses. For this reason, you must have a webcam and use a full computer/laptop, and we do not permit students to attend using a tablet or cell phone.
- A quiet space with minimal distractions: Please plan to be fully engaged in the class, and clear your work schedule just as you would for attendance in an in-class program.
This course is offered in partnership with construction associations across Canada and you'll be participating with a cohort with peers from throughout the country.