September 18 update - Sold out, thanks for your interest!
- Sorry you missed this one! Email Chenelle, and let us know you want to see another session offered this fall - education(at)vicabc.ca
Exclusive VICA Member Pricing: Pay only $299/registration (SAVE $300!) when you register more than one person in this session! Call us to register and receive this special discount: 1-877-847-6471
In the past, old-school leaders worked from a top-down hierarchy model: using a carrot/stick mentality to try and manage behavior. These tactics sometimes produce short-term improvements, but fail in making real, lasting, changes in team performance.
This course is designed to help you discover a more effective way of leading your team by starting with yourself. Leadership is an inside-out exercise, and this course will give you tools to better understand your own leadership strengths, how to motivate others, and how to listen and communicate better with your team.
NEW! 2 Hours of FREE, One-on-One Coaching
Course attendees now have access to two hours of one-on-one coaching over the following month after the course to help answer any questions or real-world problems you may be facing!
By the end of this course you will cover:
- Defining and Describing Leadership
- Management vs Leadership
- Leading Yourself
- Understanding Values
- Extrinsic and Intrinsic Motivation
- Maslow's Hierarchy
- Catalysts for Motivation
- Culture & Communication
- Communicating as a Leader
- Questioning vs Directing
- Live, Online, Instructor-led training, with a maximum class size of 15 students.
- This course is facilitated by the instructor using Zoom. Access information from the instructor will be provided to you in advance of the training.
- Four morning sessions (2 hours each):
- Day 1: Tuesday, Sept 22: 10:00am-12:00pm
- Day 2: Thursday, Sept 24: 10:00am-12:00pm
- Day 3: Tuesday, Sept 29: 10:00am-12:00pm
- Day 4: Thursday, October 1: 10:00am-12:00pm
- Attendance in all four sessions is mandatory for course completion. *Please note that If a student misses a class session, we are unable to transfer registration or provide a partial refund of the registration fees.
- 2 hours of one-on-one coaching (not mandatory for course completion).
- Coaching sessions can either scheduled as four 30-minute sessions, or two 1-hour sessions, and must be scheduled within four weeks of the end of the course. Your course instructor will provide you with instructions on how to schedule your sessions. Attendance in coaching sessions is not mandatory for successful completion of the course.
Course Requirements (Technology & Participation)
This course requires full face-to-face interaction and participation from both the instructor and students. In order to attend, you’ll must make sure you have the following:
- Computer or laptop with webcam (webcams are mandatory): This course will involve 100% on-screen interaction with your instructor and classmates, reading/viewing on-screen content like slides or videos, and interacting via typing with questions or responses. For this reason, you must have a webcam and use a full computer/laptop, and we do not permit students to attend using a tablet or cell phone.
- A quiet space with minimal distractions: Please plan to be fully engaged in the class, and clear your work schedule just as you would for attendance in an in-class program.
This course is offered in partnership with local construction associations in the Lower Mainland (VRCA) and the Southern Interior (SICA), and you’ll be participating in a cohort with industry peers from across these regions.