August 20 Update - Sold Out + More 2020-21 Sessions
This course is now sold out! Thanks for your interest and don't despair - you have a couple of options:
- NEXT SESSIONS - Register for our next sessions coming up this fall or winter!
NEW! Construction 101 has been completely updated for 2020!
This course has something for everyone – whether you have years of experience or are new to the industry. Don't be misled by the '101' - over 30% of our course attendees have 10+ years of industry experience! Perfect for procurement professionals and buyers, developing leaders, as well as operations and administrative staff. This course is the industry knowledge boot camp that will support your team's success.
What will you learn?
Created by the industry and for the industry, this course was developed by the CCA to give participants an opportunity to see how different pieces in the construction industry fit together. You’ll get valuable insight into the various industry stakeholders and their roles/responsibilities, construction documents and contracts, risk management, construction law, bidding and tendering, and more!
Course material covers 9 modules and 166 topics including:
- Project Delivery Methods
- Project Start Up to Close Out
- Accounting & Admin
- Recording Progress
- Importance of Contract Time
- Recording the Project
- Changes to the Contract
- Breach of Contract
- Builders Lien Act
- Common Features of Construction Contracts
- Typical Contract (CCDC 2)
- Format of Specifications
- Format of Drawings
- Invitation to Tender & Bid Documents
Bidding & Receiving Bids
- Estimating Process
- Best Practices
- Calling for Bids
- Instructions to Bidders
- Bid Evaluation & Contract Award
- Post-Tender Negotiations
- Property & Liability Risks
- Wrap-Up Policies
- Why Contractors Fail
Plus so much more!
Course fee includes shipping* over $200 of hard-copy student materials directly to students, including:
- Construction 101 Student Manual with detailed material developed exclusively for the construction industry by the CCA
- VICA’s custom bonus manual containing:
- Full example copies of selected CCA/CCDC contracts:
- CCA 1: Stipulated Price Subcontract
- CCDC 2: Stipulated Price Contract
- CCDC 5A: Construction Management Contract – for Services
- CCDC 5B: Construction Management Contract – for Services and Construction
- Builders Lien Act Guide
- *Please note: Some remote and remote/rural areas are subject to additional courier costs and you will be required to pay an additional $75 fee for delivery of your course materials. We will get in touch with you if this is the case.
- Live, Online, Instructor-led training, with a class size of 12-16 students.
- This course is facilitated by the instructor on the Zoom platform. Access information from the instructor will be provided to you in advance of the training.
- Four (4) morning sessions (four hours each) over four days:
- Day 1: Tuesday, September 15: 8:00am-12:00pm
- Day 2: Wednesday, September 16: 8:00am-12:00pm
- Day 3: Thursday, September 17: 8:00am-12:00pm
- Day 4: Friday, September 18: 8:00am-12:00pm
- Attendance and participation in all four sessions is mandatory for course completion. *Please note that If a student misses a class session, we are unable to transfer registration or provide a partial refund of the registration fees.
Course Requirements (Technology & Participation)
This course requires full face-to-face interaction and participation from both the instructor and students. In order to attend, you’ll must make sure you have the following:
- Computer or laptop with webcam (webcams are mandatory): This course will involve 100% on-screen interaction with your instructor and classmates, reading/viewing on-screen content like slides or videos, and interacting via typing with questions or responses. For this reason, you must have a webcam and use a full computer/laptop, and we do not permit students to attend using a tablet or cell phone.
- A quiet space with minimal distractions: Please plan to be fully engaged in the class, and clear your work schedule just as you would for attendance in an in-class program.
Orientation, Homework & Optional Exam:
- You will be required to attend an orientation session with the instructor one week before the course.
- This course will have four short homework assignments that should take no more than 30 minutes each to complete.
- There is an optional take-home, open-book final exam for students to take. This is not mandatory. Typically, the exam is taken by Licensed Residential Homebuilders to qualify for formal CPD points. For those working towards their GSC, the exam is not mandatory - you will receive 4 GSC credits for attendance only.
Construction 101 is delivered in partnership between your local construction associations on Vancouver Island (VICA) & the Lower Mainland (VRCA) and you’ll be participating in a cohort with industry peers from across these regions.