What our students say:
- "Really enjoyed the course - improved my skills in financial control for small business."
- "Appreciated the knowledge sharing between classmates and the opportunity to network with other professionals."
- "Answered my questions about business plans and the sections on Human Resources and marketing were very helpful."
Who should take this course? This course is designed for:
- Business owners
- Managers or administrators in areas of finance, personnel management, marketing, and/or business operations
- New, developing, and aspiring managers and supervisors
- Current managers and supervisors who want to improve their business skills
What will you learn?
Are your Business Management skills up to scratch? Build valuable skills in finance, marketing, and personnel management, as well as learn how to improve your business and management systems! This two-day Business Management course will give you the tools you need to apply strategic planning in your own workplace and become a more efficient and effective business leader.
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Understand the strategic planning process and how to implement it within their context
- Understand the importance of a business plan and how to prepare one
- Understand the participants within the construction industry – their roles, responsibilities and limitations
- Understand the benefits of a participatory management culture
- Formulate a marketing plan and understand the marketing mix
- Develop a human resource management plan
- Understand the employment cycle/process
- Develop an employee performance evaluation system
- Increase staff morale and engagement
- Understand operational planning for construction companies
- Formulate a financial plan, budgets, ratios and break-even analysis
- Understand the importance of financial internal controls
- Develop benchmarks and key performance indicators
- Understand bonding and insurance for construction companies
- Use risk management tools to identify risk and how to mitigate risk
Course fee includes: Lunch, digital certificate provided upon successful course completion, and course material provided by the instructor in-class.
Course format: Two days of in-class instruction, plus an optional online component to be completed after the in-class course. The online component will be provided to students by the instructor and will be based on the in-class material. It may include some research, reading, and answering questions (7-8 hours) that will be marked by the instructors. *Please note that attendees who wish to claim pre-approved CPD points for their Residential Builder Licensing MUST complete the online component to be eligible.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- How hard will the course be? It has been a few years since I attended a course.
- VICA's courses are designed for working professionals just like you! Our training programs are for your professional development, and focus on increasing your knowledge as well as helping you improve on-the-job skills. This is not a rigorous academic course.
- What is the online component all about? Is it hard? Can you give me more information about it?
- The online component will usually be comprised of a short project or assignment that you will complete on your own time after the course, and upload to the instructor's website. Don't worry - your instructor will provide you with all the information you need to be successful! It is very rare for a student to struggle with this aspect of the course.
- When do I get my course certificate?
- Course certificates are typically emailed to students 4-6 weeks after the course is completed. If you are a Licensed Residential Builder taking the course for CPD, please make sure to take this extra time into account when planning to report your CPD.
Partner Discount Pricing:
Are you a member with one of our partner associations below? Call us directly to access partner pricing on our courses. Make sure to tell us which association you belong to when you call! (1-877-847-6471)
- ECABC (Electrical Contractors Association of BC)
- VRBA (Victoria Residential Builders Association)
VICA Member Discounts:
VICA members - please login to the website before you register in order to receive your VICA member price on registration!