What our students say:
- "Section on the Builders Lien Act was the most valuable to me."
- "Answered my questions about CCDC & CCA contracts, as well as improved my skills in preparing for legal issues and disputes."
- "Gave me an opportunity to ask specific questions and I liked how the instructor used real-life examples."
Who should take this course?
This course is designed for construction owners, managers, estimators and supervisors.
What will you learn?
This two-day course will provide participants with the practical skills to effectively and proactively deal with conflict situations and avoid litigation. Course topics also include the Builders’ Lien Act, collecting debts, bonding, insurance, environmental law, safety law, and much more!
By the end of the course, you will:
- Identify the basics of contract law – intention, offer, acceptance, consideration, capacity and legality
- Understand a variety of CCDC/CCA and industry contracts, as well as when/how to use them
- Understand how specifications and drawings fit within the contractual hierarchy
- Write RFIs and Change Orders
- Compile and submit proper extras and claims
- Define back charges and how to avoid them
- Understand the dispute resolution process – negotiation, mediation, arbitration, and litigation
- Use the Builder’s Lien Act to obtain security for debts
- Understand how the ‘holdback system’ works and why
- Use the Small Claims process to recover debts
- Know the types of insurance, bonding, and sureties used in construction
Course fee includes: Lunch, digital certificate provided upon successful course completion, and course material provided by the instructor in-class.
Course format: Two days of in-class instruction, plus an optional online component to be completed after the in-class course. The online component will be provided to students by the instructor and will be based on the in-class material. It may include some research, reading, and answering questions (7-8 hours) that will be marked by the instructors. *Please note that attendees who wish to claim pre-approved CPD points for their Residential Builder Licensing MUST complete the online component to be eligible.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- How hard will the course be? It has been a few years since I attended a course.
- VICA's courses are designed for working professionals just like you! Our training programs are for your professional development, and focus on increasing your knowledge as well as helping you improve on-the-job skills. This is not a rigorous academic course.
- What is the online component all about? Is it hard? Can you give me more information about it?
- The online component will usually be comprised of a short project or assignment that you will complete on your own time after the course, and upload to the instructor's website. Don't worry - your instructor will provide you with all the information you need to be successful! It is very rare for a student to struggle with this aspect of the course.
- When do I get my course certificate?
- Course certificates are typically emailed to students 4-6 weeks after the course is completed. If you are a Licensed Residential Builder taking the course for CPD, please make sure to take this extra time into account when planning to report your CPD.
Partner Discount Pricing:
Are you a member with one of our partner associations below? Call us directly to access partner pricing on our courses. Make sure to tell us which association you belong to when you call! (1-877-847-6471)
- ECABC (Electrical Contractors Association of BC)
- VRBA (Victoria Residential Builders Association)
VICA Member Discounts:
VICA members - please login to the website before you register in order to receive your VICA member price on registration!