January 11 Update - Registration Closed + 2021 Sessions
Registrations are now closed for this course. Thanks for your interest! Register for one of our upcoming sessions:
Why would a Contractor, Owner Consultant or Subcontractor need to know best practices for closing out a construction project? The answer is simple - if you can't get it done then you can't reach substantial performance. Getting a project to substantial performance, and then to total performance, are two of the most difficult milestones in the construction industry to achieve. In this course you'll learn how to avoid the last 3% of the project becoming 15% of the effort.
Participants will be introduced to best practices and “tips and tricks” which will expedite and simplify the takeover of a project by its Owner from the Contractor.
By the end of this course, you'll cover:
- Pre-Construction Closeout: Internal handover; Principles of organizing early, teamwork and communication; O&M manual development and tracking; Closeout requirements and submissions; Submittals requirements and submissions; Permits
- Construction Closeout: Substantial Performance requirements both contractually and regulatory
- Post Construction Closeout: Final Completion requirements both contractually and regulatory
- Organizational Closeout: Wrapping up and demobilizing from the site
- Subcontractor Closeout: Financial requirements
- Financial Closeout: Internal review and lessons learned
- Live, Online, Instructor-led training, with a maximum class size of 16 students.
- This course is facilitated by the instructor on the AdobeConnect platform. Access information from the instructor will be provided to you in advance of the training.
- Two morning sessions (3 hours each) over two days:
- Day 1: Wednesday, January 13: 10:00am-1:00pm
- Day 2: Thursday, January 14: 10:00am-1:00pm
- Attendance in both sessions is mandatory for course completion. *Please note that If a student misses a class session, we are unable to transfer registration or provide a partial refund of the registration fees.
Course Requirements (Technology & Participation)
This course requires full face-to-face interaction and participation from both the instructor and students. In order to attend, you’ll must make sure you have the following:
- Computer or laptop with webcam (webcams are mandatory): This course will involve 100% on-screen interaction with your instructor and classmates, reading/viewing on-screen content like slides or videos, and interacting via typing with questions or responses. For this reason, you must have a webcam and use a full computer/laptop, and we do not permit students to attend using a tablet or cell phone.
- A quiet space with minimal distractions: Please plan to be fully engaged in the class, and clear your work schedule just as you would for attendance in an in-class program.
This course is offered in partnership with construction associations across Canada and you'll be participating with a cohort with peers from throughout the country.