Exclusive VICA Member Pricing: Pay only $399/registration (SAVE $300!) when you register more than one person! Call us to register and receive this special discount: 1-877-847-6471
Are high overhead costs, underbidding, and low productivity eating up your razor-thin profit margins? This course will teach you how to recognize problem projects, identify unwanted expenses, increase productivity, and manage overhead expenses. Offered as part of a province-wide tour, join Wayne Newell, a seasoned construction CFO, with 35 years of financial and construction-contracting experience for this course that will help you answer these questions and many more.
What students say:
- “Such a helpful seminar. It really illustrated the impact that many small actions and decisions can have on overall profitability.”
- “Really appreciated the focus on cash flow and how to maintain the flow. I can say that thanks to the information that I learned yesterday I can now see the bigger picture when it comes to making sure that I get compensated for my time and stop doing things for free.”
- “Course content well-grounded by printed materials, videos, power point presentation and articulate instruction and Q&A.”
- “Very good seminar from a GC view. The fact this was a ‘working’ seminar made the content interesting.”
Who should take this course?
Project Managers and Coordinators, Field Supervisors, Estimators, Department/Division Managers, Owners – anyone who has an influence on profits will benefit from this course.
What will you learn?
Many contractors have labour productivity concerns, high overhead costs, below-budget profits and one continuous headache with cash flow. Covering a wide range of operational and financial management issues, this course will provide you with the systems and processes you need to manage expenses and improve profitability. Course topics include: profit requirements, estimating, project management, labour productivity, human resource skills, materials and tools management, change orders, job costing, cash flow, AR collections, risk management, overhead controls, asset controls and a host of others.
By the end of this course you’ll learn:
- 8 profit requirements
- Losses common to many contractors
- Estimating – critical labour factors
- Materials and tools management
- Effective negotiation strategies for major purchases
- Controlling change orders
- Costs of lost productivity – direct and indirect
- Causes of poor productivity
- Effective planning and scheduling
- Managing human resources
- Cost control
- Cash flows and cash management
- Financial reports
- Controlling overheads – just 2 simple numbers
- AR and AP analysis
- Revenue goals – just 3 simple numbers
- Accounts receivable collections
- Using your accountants more effectively
- Bonding and insurance
- Protecting your assets from fraud
- Personal productivity
- Go-forward positioning
Course fee includes: Lunch, digital certificate provided upon successful course completion, and course material provided by the instructor in-class.
Course format: One day of in-class instruction.
- How hard will the course be? It has been a few years since I attended a course.
- VICA's courses are designed for working professionals just like you! Our training programs are for your professional development, and focus on increasing your knowledge as well as helping you improve on-the-job skills. This is not a rigorous academic course.
- When do I get my course certificate?
- Course certificates are typically emailed to students up to 4 weeks after the course is completed.
Partner Discount Pricing:
Are you a member with one of our partner associations below? Call us directly to access partner pricing on our courses. Make sure to tell us which association you belong to when you call! (1-877-847-6471)
- ECABC (Electrical Contractors Association of BC)
- VRBA (Victoria Residential Builders Association)
VICA Member Discounts:
VICA members, please log in to the website before you register in order to receive your VICA member price on registration OR Call us directly to register (1-877-847-6471).
- Exclusive VICA member discount: pay only $399/registration (SAVE $300) on this course when you register more than one person! Call to receive this special pricing.