What our students say:
- "Valuable information - particularly risk management. I will be able to apply many concepts to my current and future roles."
- "I loved the templates and procedures that were supplied. I will definitely use them as reference guides in real life."
- "Found the small group discussions helpful, and appreciated the opportunity to connect with like-minded professionals."
Who should take this course?
Project Management is designed for construction owners, managers, estimators, supervisors, and staff.
What will you learn?
From estimating to projecting your ROI, this course will develop your skills and knowledge of how to manage a construction project. We will use the PMBoK approach to gain an understanding of the various processes and constraints that project managers face on the job. You will also learn how to successfully manage a complex project, and receive essential project planning tools to avoid risk and benefit your bottom line.
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Understand the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBoK) and the estimating process
- Use the appropriate CCDC/CCA contract and/or Purchase Orders for the project
- Use risk management tools and mitigate for risk
- Know the importance of scheduling and use appropriate scheduling tools
- Understand the components of projects – labour, materials and overheads – and use of techniques to maximize job profitability and minimize costs
- Do post-mortem analysis after project completion
- Use Construction Industry Codes to analyze costs vs budget
- Understand how job costing fits within the overall accounting systems
- Comprehend Return on Investment (ROI) and how this impacts the required project profit margins
- Understand the contract process from bidding to project close-out
- Use job profit forecasting methods to integrate into company forecasting systems
Course fee includes: Lunch, digital certificate provided upon successful course completion, and course material provided by the instructor in-class.
Course format: Two days of in-class instruction, plus an optional online component to be completed after the in-class course. The online component will be provided to students by the instructor and will be based on the in-class material. It may include some research, reading, and answering questions (7-8 hours) that will be marked by the instructors.
*Please note that attendees who wish to claim pre-approved CPD points for their Residential Builder Licensing MUST complete the online component to be eligible.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- How hard will the course be? It has been a few years since I attended a course.
- VICA's courses are designed for working professionals just like you! Our training programs are for your professional development, and focus on increasing your knowledge as well as helping you improve on-the-job skills. This is not a rigorous academic course.
- What is the online component all about? Is it hard? Can you give me more information about it?
- The online component will usually be comprised of a short project or assignment that you will complete on your own time after the course, and upload to the instructor's website. Don't worry - your instructor will provide you with all the information you need to be successful! It is very rare for a student to struggle with this aspect of the course.
- When do I get my course certificate?
- Course certificates are typically emailed to students 4-6 weeks after the course is completed. If you are a Licensed Residential Builder taking the course for CPD, please make sure to take this extra time into account when planning to report your CPD.
Partner Discount Pricing:
Are you a member with one of our partner associations below? Call us directly to access partner pricing on our courses. Make sure to tell us which association you belong to when you call! (1-877-847-6471)
- ECABC (Electrical Contractors Association of BC)
- VRBA (Victoria Residential Builders Association)
VICA Member Discounts:
Please log in to the website before you register in order to receive your VICA member price on registration!