Update: January 14, 2019
This course will now run from January 22-February 5. We've postponed by one week due to inclement weather in the Nanaimo area.
What our students say:
- “Thanks! I will use these books as a reference in the future.”
- “This course will help me as I start my first large multi-family condo with parkade.”
- “Appreciated the opportunity to brainstorm and workshop with others in the industry.”
- "Don is a fantastic presenter and the real life stories he shared from his experience as a tradesman were interesting and relevant."
Who should take this course?
Our students include experienced industry professionals and business owners who want to brush up their skills, as well as new leaders in the industry who come from a variety of roles (project managers and coordinators, foremen, and superintendents).
What will you learn?
Designed specifically for construction leaders in the residential and ICI industry sectors, this course is a comprehensive introduction to construction management fundamentals. Join us at VICA Victoria for this course developed specifically to boost project management and business skills. You won’t want to miss this exclusive training opportunity to gain valuable tools and resources you can put to work immediately in your business.
By the end of this course we'll cover:
Week 1: Project Planning
- Phases of Construction
- 10 Steps in Construction Planning
- Project Delivery Methods
- Employees & Subcontractors
- Tenders & Trade Selection
- Construction Contracts
- Purchase Orders
Weeks 2 & 3: Scheduling
- Value of Scheduling
- Scheduling Systems: CPM & Bar Charts
- Construction Delays
- Managing Schedules
Weeks 2 &3: Estimating
- Types and Methods of Estimating
- Cost Estimating
- Estimating Labour
Week 4: Site Safety
- Workers Compensation Act
- Your Responsibilities
- Hazardous Products Act
- Company Health & Safety Program
Week 4: Environmental
- Environmental Factors
- Environmental Management Act & Regulation
- Hazardous Materials & Recycling
Week 4: Project Supervision
- Cost Control
- Quality Control & Assurance
- Change Orders
- Contract Compliance: Deficiencies
- Supervising People
Four afternoon sessions (3 hours each) over four weeks, with a final multiple choice exam. Students will receive a participant guide with additional material and resources.
*Please note that attendance is mandatory for course completion. Students must attend all four sessions to be eligible for Gold Seal Credits or CPD points.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- How hard will the course be? It has been a few years since I attended a course.
- VICA's courses are designed for working professionals just like you! Our training programs are for your professional development, and focus on increasing your knowledge as well as helping you improve on-the-job skills. This is not a rigorous academic course.
- What is the final exam all about? Is it hard? Can you give me more information about it?
- The final exam is multiple choice, and comprised of 30 questions. A minimum grade of 70% is required to successfully pass the exam. The exam is based on the course material covered in-class, as well the content in your participant guide. Don’t worry - your instructor will provide you with all the information you need to be successful!
- When do I get my course certificate?
- Course certificates are typically emailed to students 4-6 weeks after the course is completed. If you are a Licensed Residential Builder taking the course for CPD, please make sure to take this extra time into account when planning to report your CPD.
Partner Discount Pricing:
Are you a member with one of our partner associations below? Call us directly to access partner pricing on our courses. Make sure to tell us which association you belong to when you call! (1-877-847-6471)
- ECABC (Electrical Contractors Association of BC)
- VRBA (Victoria Residential Builders Association)
Exclusive VICA Member Pricing: Pay only $499/registration (SAVE $300!) when you register more than one person! Call us to register and receive this special discount: 1-877-847-6471