- Gold Seal Credits: 2
CCDC 5A/5B: Construction Management Keys to Success | Live, ONLINE
Facilitated by VICA’s most in-demand course instructor, Debbie Hicks, this course puts you front-and-centre with a training team of 3 ICI practitioners. You’ll gain insights from each trainer’s perspective (Project Owner, Consultant and Contractor) into CM roles and responsibilities through each project phase, as well as key aspects of CM in the areas of functional requirements, time, cost, quality, and constructability.
3 Days, 4 Hours each day
Debbie Hicks, B.Sc, Bill Chomik, AAA, SAA, OAA, AIBC, FRAIC, RCA , Hugh Loughborough, P. Eng., GSC, Elisa Brandts, AAA, OAA, NSAA, FRAIC, Rick Boates, AScT., GSC, LEEDAP
$649.99 excl. GST
Project success takes more than just understanding what is “written” in your contract; it’s about leveraging key requirements from start to finish!
Many projects run into cost overruns, schedule delays, as well as quality and performance issues - and Project Owners are looking for solutions! A great solution if done well, Construction Management (CM) is about building a collaborative team from the outset of the project. A Construction Management approach brings the Project Owner, Consultant, and Contractors together in order to address key areas of functional requirements, time, cost, quality, and constructability.
Whether you are the Project Owner, Consultant, General Contractor or Subcontractor, you need to understand your Construction Management roles and responsibilities throughout all project phases: predesign, design, project delivery and post construction. It’s also important to be well versed in the Construction Management project drivers and concepts in order to fulfil your contractual responsibilities and achieve success. A well orchestrated Construction Management project drives success for all partners.
What Will You Learn?
By the end of this course you will:
- Gain an understanding of the Construction Management process
- Recognize when to use Construction Management as a Delivery Method
- Learn the roles of each partner for collaborative success
- Determine when and how to procure Construction Management services
- Identify tools and techniques to optimize Construction Management performance
- Grasp the nuances of the different forms of Construction Management contracts – CCDC 5A|5B (industry standard contracts)
- Understand the duties assigned and compensation for Preconstruction, Construction and Post-Construction in the CCDC 5A | 5B
- Practice the key elements to focus on for project success:
- Engage the design assist process
- Align budgets to estimates
- Use design control to promote cost control
- Apply the learned knowledge to establish the Construction Manager’s compensation
- Discuss the pros and cons for conversion to consolidated pricing
- Acquire critical insights into the challenges with the Construction Management Delivery Method
Who Should Attend?
This course was designed by an inter-disciplinary ICI team with the intention of fostering dialogue and understanding between stakeholders across the ICI sector. We recommend this course for mid-management personnel from the following roles/disciplines who who will actively be working on and/or responsible for the administration of Construction Management projects.
- General Contractors and Subcontractors: Construction Company Owners/Managers, Project Managers, Commercial Managers, Business Development Managers
- Project Owners, Third Party Project Managers (For the Project Owner), and P3 Developers
- Architects and Engineers
- Allied Professionals including: Bonding and Insurance specialists, Lawyers
Live, Online, Instructor-led training, with a maximum class size of 25 students.
- This is a highly interactive course facilitated by the instructor on the Zoom platform.
- You will be expected to have your webcam on during the whole class and participate in break-out rooms, small-group discussions, and other activities with your instructor and classmates during the course.
- Zoom access information will be provided to you in advance of the training by your instructor
- Full attendance and participation in all four sessions is mandatory for course completion. If a student misses a class session, we are unable to transfer registration or provide a partial refund of the registration fees.
This course is delivered in partnership with local construction associations across western Canada and Ontario. You will be participating with a cohort of industry peers from throughout these regions.
Course Requirements (Technology & Participation)
This course requires full face-to-face interaction and participation from both the instructor and students. In order to attend, you’ll must make sure you have the following:
- Computer or laptop with webcam (webcams are mandatory): This course will involve 100% on-screen interaction with your instructor and classmates, reading/viewing on-screen content like slides or videos, and interacting via typing with questions or responses. For this reason, you must have a webcam and use a full computer/laptop, and we do not permit students to attend using a tablet or cell phone.
- A quiet space with minimal distractions: Please plan to be fully engaged in the class, and clear your work schedule just as you would for attendance in an in-class program.
A short orientation session (30 min) with your course instructor will be held via Zoom before the course (usually scheduled in the week before). During the orientation, your instructor will go over course information and familiarize you with the Zoom tools you’ll be using.
We recommend that students have have some experience in a construction/contract management role and/or have a solid familiarity with the language, format, and usage of common construction contracts.
Those with less experience are welcome to attend but may find it hard to absorb and appreciate the material without prior experience or context.
Course Credits Information
2 Gold Seal Credits