April 29 Update – Moved to online delivery
Following the recommendations of BC's Provincial Health Officer regarding physical distancing during this pandemic, we have made the decision to cancel in-class courses scheduled for the month of May. However, our Construction 101 instructor has been able to move to an online delivery model, so this course will go ahead.
If you have any questions please contact Chenelle Falconer, our Manager of Training & Education, at 250-483-7591 (direct line).
March 6 Update - Sold Out, Waitlist
Thanks for your interest and don't despair - you have a couple of options!
- WAITLIST - Email Chenelle, and we'll include you on the waitlist for this session in case of any student cancellations.
- NEXT SESSION - Save the date! Chenelle is currently working on our 2020-2021 program year which runs September-June. We are planning for our next Construction 101 session on November 3-4, 2020. Stay tuned for when registrations open!
Exclusive VICA Member Pricing: Pay only $499/registration (SAVE $300!) when you register more than one person! Call us to register and receive this special discount: 1-877-847-6471
What our students say:
- "Fantastic and informative course - great facilitator and guest speakers. Will recommend this course to others!"
- "Excellent course and highly recommended for buyers in municipal roles."
- "Answered my questions about contract documents and improved my project management/coordination skills."
Who should take this course?
This course has something for everyone – whether you have years of experience or are new to the industry. Don't be misled by the '101' - over 30% of our course attendees have 10+ years of industry experience! Perfect for procurement professionals and buyers, developing leaders, as well as operations and administrative staff. This course is the industry knowledge boot camp that will support your team's success.
What will you learn?
Created by the industry and for the industry, this course was developed by the CCA to give participants an opportunity to see how different pieces in the construction industry fit together. You’ll get valuable insight into the various industry stakeholders and their roles/responsibilities, construction documents and contracts, risk management, construction law, bidding and tendering, and more!
Course material covers 8 modules and 62 topics including:
Project Management and Administration
- Project Start Up
- The Payment Process
- Changes to the Contract
- Schedules and Recording Progress
Tendering, Bidding, and Award of Contracts
- Competitive Bidding
- The Bid Form and Supplemental Information
- Calling for Bids and Receiving Bids
- Contract A
Format of Contracts
- Common Features of Construction Contracts
- Letters of Intents
- Types of Contracts
- Relationships between the Parties
- Canadian Contract Law
- Validity of Contracts
- Mitigation and Dispute Resolution
- Typical CCDC 2 Contract
- Property and Liability Risks
- Exposure to Loss
- Wrap up Policies
- Invitation to Tender and Bid Documents
- Blueprints and Technical Specifications
Course fee includes:
- Complimentary lunch and refreshments provided on both days.
- Attendees receive a bundle of valuable reference resources. Course material includes:
- Construction 101 Binder with detailed material developed exclusively for the construction industry by the CCA
- Builders Lien Act Guide
- Full Example copies of the following contract documents:
- CCA 1: Stipulated Price Subcontract
- CCDC 2: Stipulated Price Contract
- CCDC 5A: Construction Management Contract – for Services
- CCDC 5B: Construction Management Contract – for Services and Construction
Course format: Two days of in-class instruction, plus an optional, open book, take-home exam (using the Construction 101 Binder) to be completed after the in-class course. The the take home exam consists of 25 questions and will be be based on the material covered in class. Attendees will have 2 weeks to submit their completed exam via email.
*Please note that attendees who wish to claim Gold Seal Credits or CPD points for their Residential Builder Licensing MUST successfully complete the take-home exam component to be eligible.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
- How hard will the course be? It has been a few years since I attended a course.
- VICA's courses are designed for working professionals just like you! Our training programs are for your professional development, and focus on increasing your knowledge as well as helping you improve on-the-job skills. This is not a rigorous academic course.
- What is the take-home exam all about? Is it hard? Can you give me more information about it?
- The take-home exam is open book and has 25 questions based on the material reviewed in the course. You will receive a resource binder with all of the course material, and we strongly encourage you to refer to the binder when completing the exam. You will receive all the information that you'll need to successfully complete the take-home exam when you attend the course.
- When do I get my course certificate?
- Course certificates are typically emailed to students 4-6 weeks after the course is completed.
- If you are a Licensed Residential Builder taking the course for CPD, please make sure to take this extra time into account when planning to report your CPD.
Partner Discount Pricing
Are you a member with one of our partner associations below? Call us toll-free at 1-877-847-6471 to access partner pricing on our courses. Make sure to tell us which association you belong to when you call!
- ECABC (Electrical Contractors Association of BC)
- VRBA (Victoria Residential Builders Association)
VICA Member Discounts
VICA members, please log in to the website before you register in order to receive your VICA member price on registration OR Call us directly for an exclusive VICA member discount — pay only $499/registration (SAVE $300!) on this course when you register more than one person! (1-877-847-6471)