- Gold Seal Credits: 1
- Licensed Residential Builder CPD Points: 5
Canadian Construction Contract Essentials
Gain a basic and practical understanding of Canadian construction contract and subcontract essentials. Accessible on desktop, tablet, and mobile devices.
$200.00 excl. GST
ElearningComplete online at your own pace (Self-paced)
- $200.00 excl. GST
This introductory course is for contactors and anyone involved in procurement and contracting within a construction company. This course will provide you with a basic and practical understanding of Canadian construction contract and subcontract essentials.
Please Note: This course builds on content in the Construction Law (Introductory) E-learning course and students who have previously taken this training may find that some of the information is repeated.
What Will You Learn?
By the end of this course you will learn how to:
- Understand what a contract is from a legal standpoint and what makes it valid and enforceable.
- Know some key legal principles regarding general contracts and construction contracts.
- Understand why contracts are important in the construction process.
- Learn the difference between a “bidding” contract and the actual construction contract.
- Be able to discern the difference between a letter of intent, a purchase order, and a construction contract.
- Learn about a major cause of construction disputes and why standard industry contract forms can reduce the risk of such disputes.
- Know the different types of construction contracts in terms of project delivery and pricing methods.
- Understand the structure, approach, and key provisions in a typical stipulated/fixed-price or lump-sum construction contract and subcontract.
- Know how to read and understand a typical construction contract and subcontract.
- Self-paced e-learning course
- Course content contains interactive elements, scenarios, videos, and quizzes to reinforce learning
- 8 lessons of approximately 35 minutes duration each, for a total of about 5 hours of instruction
- A final mark of 100% is required in order to receive a certificate of completion. The final test will be multiple-choice, and if you don’t succeed on your first attempt, you can continue to re-take the test until you pass. Your course completion certificate will not be released until you successfully complete the final test with a score of 100%.
Supported Operating Systems:
- Computers: Windows, Apple
- Smartphones/Tablets: Android, Apple
- Compatible Internet Browsers: Google Chrome, Safari, Microsoft Edge, Firefox
- Internet connection is required
Course access is not immediate. Please plan for up to 24-48 hours before you gain course access.
- You will receive an email from our Training & Education Team within 24-48 hours with login information and instructions on how to access your course.
- If you have purchased your course on a weekend or holiday, we will email you your access information within 24-48 hours of the next regular business day.
No Refunds or Cancellations
- Online course orders and purchases are a final sale.
- Once your sale or order is placed, we cannot provide a refund or cancel your purchase. Please ensure that you are purchasing the correct training before placing your order or making your purchase.
Course Credits Information
Gold Seal: 1 Credit
Licensed Residential Builder CPD Points: 5 CPD Points, Informal*
- *Disclaimer: CPD Points may be subject to change by BC Housing. Always verify CPD points for yourself.
- BC Housing Education Portal: https://www.bccsa.ca/index.php?id=119
- BC Housing Licensing & Consumer Services: https://www.bchousing.org/licensing-consumer-services/builder-licensing/