Women in Construction (WiC)
Women in Construction (WiC) is a grassroots Vancouver Island network working to promote and support female participation in one of the key sectors of our provincial economy: construction. The Vancouver Island Construction Association is proud to support WiC's Nanaimo and Victoria chapters.
Who Can Join WiC?
WiC is open to anyone who considers themselves a “woman in construction”, as well as those who support women working in the industry. The network is comprised of private and public sector workers, students, engineers, apprentices, labourers, tradespersons, project managers, developers, architects, and professional admin staff.
Those connected to the construction industry will benefit from the guest speakers, site tours, and networking opportunities found at our monthly meetings. Events have included a Women in Trades event at VIU, a site tour of the Empress Hotel renovations followed by a dinner at Steamship, site tours at Island Aggregates and Mayco Mix Nanaimo's concrete plant, seasonal socials, a site tour of the Mayfair Mall expansion project, and guest speakers touching on topics such as Marketing for Construction Companies, Work-Life Balance, and the Current State of the Construction Industry.
How Can I Join WiC?
- Sign up to receive WiC emails (subscribe to the network closest to you using the form below)
- Attend as many events as you can squeeze into your busy schedule!
- BC Local News: It's time to think of construction as women's work [read]
- Business Examiner: Women in Construction network celebrates fifth anniversary [read]
- Douglas Magazine: Where are all the women in construction? [read]
- Canadian Business: Facing a skilled labour shortage, Mandy Rennehan embraces a different hiring approach [read]