Opioid Crisis: Harm Reduction Workshops
Recent data from the BC Coroner’s Office indicates that 80% of overdose deaths are occurring in men, and 75% of overdose deaths are occurring in people aged 30-59. This means that construction industry workers may be demographically vulnerable to opioid overdose.
VICA is partnering with Island Health to offer workshops that raise awareness about the opioid epidemic, while sharing information about how to identify and respond to an overdose. Proceeds will be donated to help support those in our industry who are struggling with addiction through VICA’s charity fund – Construction Foundation of BC.
What participants will take away from the one-hour workshop:
- Gain a general overview of the current opioid crisis
- Learn about local and provincial developments
- Understand who is at risk
- Know what an opioid overdose looks like
- Know how to respond to an opioid overdose
Optional Naloxone Training: After the workshop, naloxone training and personal naloxone kits will be provided to those who are interested.
- Wednesday, Nov. 8 | VICA Victoria | 3 - 4 PM | Registration Closed
- Wednesday, Nov. 15 | VICA Nanaimo | 12 - 1 PM* | Registration Closed
- Tuesday, Nov. 21 | VICA Victoria | 3 - 4 PM | Register Now!
- Tuesday, Nov. 28 | VICA Nanaimo | 12 - 1 PM* | Register Now!
* Please note that lunch will be not be provided.
WHAT ATTENDEES HAVE SAID:
- “Great in that it was kept basic and not intimidating. Thank you!”
- “I learned that you can help and save lives.”
- “Learned how widespread the problem is across demographics.”
- “I learned that administration of Naloxone is not dangerous, and I appreciated the ‘hands-on’ portion. Thank you.”
- “Learned that assisted breathing is important during treatment of an overdose. The course was quite informative.”
- “I learned that the most harm is for prescription users.”