September 10 Update - Cancelled & November Session
Due to low registrations, we had to cancel this course. Thanks for your interest and don't despair - you have another option!
What our students say:
- "Found the illustrated processes and templates very useful."
- "Helped me in developing a system/process and improve accuracy in bidding,"
- "Appreciated the opportunity to connect with other contractors and update my current practices."
Who should take this course?
Construction Estimating is designed for current construction estimators, as well as those with moderate construction industry experience who would like to learn more about the estimating process or want to be an estimator.
What will you learn?
Improve your knowledge of estimating! Gain the skills you need to accurately estimate projects and prepare a successful bid. Course topics include project analysis, risk analysis, bid strategies and processes, Construction Division Codes, as well as bonding, insurance and much more!
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Analyze projects and decide on which ones to bid
- Understand risk analysis and how to price this into a bid
- Do competitor analysis and understand how this impacts the bid
- Do client risk analysis and how to price this into bids
- Record material and other prices, and maintain contact lists
- Formulate a bid strategy
- Understand how to prepare an estimate and the estimating process
- Use Construction Division Codes
- Understand how to present a bid
- Be familiar with how to use the bid depository
- Understand the requirements for bonding and insurance
- Understand the post-bidding process
- Work with project managers to pass on knowledge of the bid
Course fee includes: Lunch, digital certificate provided upon successful course completion, and course material provided by the instructor in-class.
Course format: Two days of in-class instruction, plus an optional online component to be completed after the in-class course. The online component will be provided to students by the instructor and will be based on the in-class material. It may include some research, reading, and answering questions (7-8 hours) that will be marked by the instructors. *Please note that attendees who wish to claim pre-approved CPD points for their Residential Builder Licensing MUST complete the online component to be eligible.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- How hard will the course be? It has been a few years since I attended a course.
- VICA's courses are designed for working professionals just like you! Our training programs are for your professional development, and focus on increasing your knowledge as well as helping you improve on-the-job skills. This is not a rigorous academic course.
- What is the online component all about? Is it hard? Can you give me more information about it?
- The online component will usually be comprised of a short project or assignment that you will complete on your own time after the course, and upload to the instructor's website. Don't worry - your instructor will provide you with all the information you need to be successful! It is very rare for a student to struggle with this aspect of the course.
- When do I get my course certificate?
- Course certificates are typically emailed to students 4-6 weeks after the course is completed. If you are a Licensed Residential Builder taking the course for CPD, please make sure to take this extra time into account when planning to report your CPD.
Partner Discount Pricing:
Are you a member with one of our partner associations below? Call us directly to access partner pricing on our courses. Make sure to tell us which association you belong to when you call! (1-877-847-6471)
- ECABC (Electrical Contractors Association of BC)
- VRBA (Victoria Residential Builders Association)
VICA Member Discounts:
VICA members - please login to the website before you register in order to receive your VICA member price on registration!