*June 5 Update - This course is now sold out!*
Not to worry - we have more sessions booked for the 2018/2019 Course Calendar!
What our students say:
- "The entire course was very valuable to me as a new leader."
- "Answered my questions about people and time management - how to raise the level of motivation with different personalities."
- "Liked the hands-on approach to learning with real-life examples from the instructors."
Who should take this course?
This course is designed for:
- New, developing, and aspiring leaders.
- Current managers and supervisors who want to improve their leadership skills.
What will you learn?
Expand your leadership capacity and experience valuable training in communication, negotiation and conflict management. By the end of the course you will know how to deliver a successful toolbox talk, deal with difficult people, and more! Join us for this two-day course designed to provide you with the tools you need to be a more effective leader.
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Understand the differences between leadership, management, and supervision
- Identify different leadership styles and approaches
- Apply different leadership styles to deal with various situations
- Know motivational theories – Mazlow, Herzberg, MARS
- Enhance individual and group performance and engagement
- Understand different personality styles and how to communicate appropriately
- Effectively manage time
- Understand stress and how to manage it at work
- Be familiar with substance abuse, recognition, and prevention
- Conduct a successful toolbox talk
- Appropriately discipline and/or terminate staff
- Apply various negotiating skills
- Properly manage difficult people, conflict, and confrontation
- Use collaborative decision making skills
- Understand a systems approach to management of construction companies
Course fee includes: Lunch, digital certificate provided upon successful course completion, and course material provided by the instructor in-class.
Course format: Two days of in-class instruction, plus an optional online component to be completed after the in-class course. The online component will be provided to students by the instructor and will be based on the in-class material. It may include some research, reading, and answering questions (7-8 hours) that will be marked by the instructors. *Please note that attendees who wish to claim pre-approved CPD points for their Residential Builder Licensing MUST complete the online component to be eligible.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- How hard will the course be? It has been a few years since I attended a course.
- VICA's courses are designed for working professionals just like you! Our training programs are for your professional development, and focus on increasing your knowledge as well as helping you improve on-the-job skills. This is not a rigorous academic course.
- What is the online component all about? Is it hard? Can you give me more information about it?
- The online component will usually be comprised of a short project or assignment that you will complete on your own time after the course, and upload to the instructor's website. Don't worry - your instructor will provide you with all the information you need to be successful! It is very rare for a student to struggle with this aspect of the course.
- When do I get my course certificate?
- Course certificates are typically emailed to students 4-6 weeks after the course is completed. If you are a Licensed Residential Builder taking the course for CPD, please make sure to take this extra time into account when planning to report your CPD.
*If you are a member of VRBA (Victoria Residential Builders Association), please call to receive our partner discount on your registration.
*If you are a VICA member, please remember to login to the website to receive member pricing on your registration. VICA members save over 30% on their course registration fee!