Infrastructure Masterclass: 1-Day Intensive Workshop on Construction Procurement
With contractors in demand, resources at a premium, and timelines tight, now more than ever procurement professionals hold the master key to successful project delivery.
Let’s work together. Procuring construction services in the public sector is a highly specialized practice requiring unique experience, knowledge, and skill.
BCCA has collaborated with NECI, a leading procurement expert in BC’s industrial, commercial, and institutional construction industry to develop this program specifically to assist public owners in ensuring successful outcomes throughout their tendering processes.
This one-day, highly focused workshop reviews foundational best practices in procurement and highlights issues relevant to today’s unique construction market challenges. Take advantage of an opportunity for a tangible return on training dollars, measured by reduced risk of litigation and scope creep, achieved timelines, and more in-budget bids.
*Not a member? Contact VICA for possible group discounts.*
Who should take this workshop?
Designed specifically for public sector employees working in:
- Local, regional, and provincial public sectors
- Direct or indirect roles managing the procurement process for construction projects
- All experience levels
If you are a contractor or non-public sector company interested in the Infrastructure Masterclass, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional program sessions may be added for contractors based on demand.
What will you learn?
Public owners whose contract opportunities are distinguished by well-structured procurement processes and project outcomes achieve a reputation as owners of choice. These owners are attracting the most bids and the best contractors to their infrastructure projects. This directly translates to demonstrable value for money, and aligns with public sector obligations for fair, open and transparent procurement practices.
By the end of the day you will:
- Design a procurement process (including the project delivery method) for a real project
- Review public sector procurement obligations and processes
- Assess the risks and benefits of construction project delivery methods
- Explore collaboration strategies to enhance project success
- Practice identifying the most appropriate procurement process and project delivery method for typical public sector construction scenarios
- Examine the BC Government’s Capital Asset Management Framework construction as a best practice (and as required)
Topics covered by the workshop material:
- Foundations of competitive contracting law in Canada
- Unique public sector obligations
- Construction delivery options
- Leveraging market intelligence
- Role of bonding and sureties
- Procurement methods
- Evaluation strategies
- Selecting Design Professionals
- Industry templates and resources