*This session is now sold out! If you're interested in taking the course when we schedule another session, Email Chenelle, VICA's Education Coordinator and let her know.*
Take advantage of this Pilot Session Reduced Pricing!
Who should take this course?
Designed specifically for construction leaders in the residential sector! Join us at VICA Victoria for this pilot of our brand-new course developed specifically to boost project management and business skills in residential construction leaders – you won’t want to miss this exclusive training opportunity. Gain valuable tools and resources you can put to work immediately in your business. Special pilot pricing for November 2017 session!
What will you learn?
- Human Resources and Labour Management: job descriptions, subcontractors, staff management
- Tendering: bid requirements, tendering practices, trade selection
- Contracts: scope of work, material schedule, permits, inspections, price, payment schedule, insurance, and dispute resolution
Scheduling & Inspections
- Scheduling and Time Management: value of scheduling, scheduling guidelines, critical scheduling stages.
- Managing the Schedule: sequencing of work, developing and implementing recovery strategies to maintain schedule.
- Inspections: importance of scheduling for passing inspections, different types of inspections, how to apply inspection guidelines (e.g. for building officials or engineers), municipal inspection processes.
- Supervising Pre-Construction: site logistics, site servicing, mitigating environmental impacts, contingency plans (e.g., bad weather).
- Compliance with Project Requirements: contract compliance and plan checks, managing quality control and establishing performance benchmarks, managing internal and external reporting requirements.
- Managing Cost Control and Change: set-up and monitoring of cost control tools, maintaining comparison of costs with budget, using a change/work order system.
- Communication and Personnel Management: apply best practices for working relationships with people involved in the construction process (owner, architects, engineers, employees, sub-contractors, suppliers, and inspectors), implement and maintain a human resources plan.
Estimating & Material/Labour Management
- Preparing Estimates: material and labour takeoffs, labour estimates, estimating indirect costs (plant, fuel, insurance, inspection levies, and environmental levies).
- Managing Materials/Labour: organizing acquisition of materials and labour, controlling jobsite expenditures, creating and implementing checklists for inspections (quality control, standard operating procedures).
Site Work Safety & Environmental Regulations
- Site Safety Supervision: create site cleanliness system, identify and implement guidelines on safe site conditions from Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) regulation, and WHMIS regulations.
- Safety Management: Identify and implement guidelines from WCB standards to maintain a site-specific safety plan, company safety plan, and insurance requirements.
- Environmental Regulations Supervision: implement guidelines for the management of both hazardous materials and a site recycling plan.
- Environmental Regulations Management: ensure subcontractor compliance with site and company safety plan in regards to cleanliness, disposal of hazardous materials on site, and recycling plan.
Three morning sessions (4.5 hours each) over three weeks, with a final multiple choice exam. Students will receive a participant guide with additional material and resources.
CPD Points for Licensed Residential Builders:
- Formal CPD – 21 Points, Group A
- Full attendance in every class is mandatory, as well as a minimum passing grade of 70% on the final exam. Students who are not successful in passing the exam, but who have attended all classes will still earn Informal CPD Points.
- Informal CPD – 10.5 Points, Group A
- Full attendance in every class is mandatory. No exam completion is required.
*Please note that attendance is mandatory for course completion. Students who do not attend all three sessions of this course will not be eligible to receive pre-approved Formal or Informal CPD points, and VICA will not issue a completion certificate.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- How hard will the course be? It has been a few years since I attended a course.
- VICA's courses are designed for working professionals just like you! Our training programs are for your professional development, and focus on increasing your knowledge as well as helping you improve on-the-job skills. This is not a rigorous academic course.
- What is the final exam all about? Is it hard? Can you give me more information about it?
- The final exam is multiple choice, and comprised of 30 questions. A minimum grade of 70% is required to successfully pass the exam. The exam is based on the course material covered in-class, as well the content in your participant guide. Don’t worry - your instructor will provide you with all the information you need to be successful!
- When do I get my course certificate?
- Course certificates are typically emailed to students 4-6 weeks after the course is completed. If you are a Licensed Residential Builder taking the course for CPD, please make sure to take this extra time into account when planning to report your CPD.
*If you are a member of VRBA (Victoria Residential Builders Association), please call to receive our partner discount on your registration.
*If you are a VICA member, please remember to login to the website to receive member pricing on your registration. VICA members save over 30% on their course registration fee!