*This course has been postponed due to low registrations*
Don't worry! We have two more sessions scheduled for this fall. Check out the alternate dates below and follow the links for more information and registration.
- October 18, 2017 at VICA Nanaimo - More Info
- November 22, 2017 at VICA Victoria - More Info
What our students say:
- "Gave me an opportunity to better understand how plans fit into the day-to-day work of my team members."
- "Instructor did a great job of bringing real work experience to explain concepts."
- "Answered my questions about how to interpret the elements and symbols in construction drawings."
- "Learning how to read structural plans has improved my skills in providing sales quotes to customers."
- "Now I feel more confident looking at drawings and finding information."
Who should take this course?
Introduction to Blueprint Reading covers the basics of blueprint reading and is perfect for those with minimal experience. Course attendees come from a wide range of backgrounds and include estimators, design professionals, operations and administration staff, roofing and window sales professionals, building supply professionals, job seekers, and many others!
What will you learn?
This course is a comprehensive overview of blueprint reading, ideal for those with little or no experience. By the end of the day, you will be able to use blueprints to find trade information and perform simple material take offs. Course topics also include an overview of the design process and the role of design professionals, architectural and engineering scales, floor plans and elevations, and much more!
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Have an elementary knowledge of blueprint reading as it relates to building construction projects
- Understand in general terms the design process and the role of design professionals
- Understand how Building Codes and Bylaws impact blueprints
- Understand specifications and the contractual hierarchy
- Be able to find trade information using blueprints
- Be able to answer basic construction questions related to the layout and installation of materials
- Identify elementary problems or shortcomings of the blueprints you are using
- Be familiar with architectural, civil, electrical and mechanical drawings, and how they fit together
- Understand and be able to use architectural & engineering scales
- Understand how to convert engineering dimensions to architectural dimensions
- Know what a floor plan, section and elevation are
- Understand symbols, notation, abbreviations and material schedules
- Work with drawings to obtain basic information on dimension, finishes, details, area calculations, and the ability to do simple material take offs
- Be familiar with both commercial and residential blueprints
Course fee includes: Lunch, digital certificate provided upon successful course completion, and course material provided by the instructor in-class.
Course Format: One day of in-class instruction with course instructor.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- How hard will the course be? It has been a few years since I attended a course.
- VICA's courses are designed for working professionals just like you! Our training programs are for your professional development, and focus on increasing your knowledge as well as helping you improve on-the-job skills. This is not a rigorous academic course.
- When do I get my course certificate?
- Course certificates are typically emailed to students up to 4 weeks after the course is completed. If you are a Licensed Residential Builder taking the course for CPD, please make sure to take this extra time into account when planning to report your CPD.
*If you are a member of VRBA (Victoria Residential Builders Association), please call to receive our partner discount on your registration.
*If you are a VICA member, please remember to login to the website to receive member pricing on your registration. VICA members save over 30% on their course registration fee!