- Gold Seal Credits: 2
- Licensed Residential Builder CPD Points: 13
FREE! Supervisor Training: Tailgate Toolkit
Gain the tools to confidently discuss substance use, mental health, and pain management with your team! Designed specifically to equip and inform construction supervisors about the complex issues surrounding substance use and toxic drug poisoning in the construction industry. Walk away with the confidence to recognize, support, and refer crew members in need. *Course registration fees are currently waived, with funding via government and community partnerships.
Colby Young, BSW, DPSM
No events to show
Gain the tools to confidently discuss substance use, mental health, and pain management with your team! Designed specifically to equip and inform construction supervisors regarding the complex issues surrounding substance use and toxic drug poisoning in the construction industry. Walk away with the confidence to recognize, support, and refer crew members in need.
Supervisor Training is recommended for those in front-line supervisory or engagement positions such as forepersons, superintendents, project managers, and first aid attendants. However, the learning outcomes of the course are applicable to many roles. If you work in a construction leadership position, or are on a leadership development path, this course is for you.
*Please note: Course registration fees are currently waived, with costs funded in partnership with the BC Ministry of Mental Health & Addictions, Canadian Mental Health Association (BC Division), and the Community Action Initiative.
What Will You Learn?
Course content will include:
- The current toxic drug poisoning epidemic
- Why this is an issue for members of the construction industry
- Why men are disproportionately at risk of toxic drug poisoning
- Harm reduction 101
- Mental health 101
- Mental Health First Aid
- Naloxone Training
- Colonization and Trauma
- Chronic Pain
- Local resources
- Classroom-style training including group discussions and exercises.
- Live, Online, Instructor-led training. This workshop is hosted on the Zoom platform. Access information and any course materials will be provided to you via email in advance of the training.
Course Requirements (Technology & Participation)
*Information for virtual, Live, Online sessions only
In order to attend, you’ll must make sure you have the following:
- Computer or laptop with webcam: This course will involve on-screen interaction with your instructor and classmates, reading/viewing on-screen content like slides or videos, and interacting via typing with questions or responses. For this reason, we do not recommend attend using a tablet or cell phone.
- A quiet space with minimal distractions: Please plan to be fully engaged in the class, and clear your work schedule just as you would for attendance in an in-class program.
We recommend that organisations who register staff for this training first schedule a Tailgate Toolkit: Toolbox Talk for their team. This talk is intended as an introductory conversation about the complex issues surrounding substance use within our industry. Not required but recommended.
Course Credits Information
Licensed Residential Builders (BC Housing)
- Virtual/Live, Online Course: Approved for 13 CPD, Informal
- In-Person Training: Not formally submitted to BC Housing for approved CPD as of October 2021. However, builders can still report training by selecting VICA as their training provider, and choosing "My Training is Not Listed," and entering the required information. For more information and help reporting your CPD, see the BC Housing website: https://www.bchousing.org/licensing-consumer-services/builder-licensing/CPD