- Gold Seal Credits: 2
- Licensed Residential Builder CPD Points: 13
FREE! Supervisor Training: Tailgate Toolkit
Gain the tools to confidently discuss substance use, mental health, and pain management with your team! Designed specifically to equip and inform construction supervisors about the complex issues surrounding substance use and toxic drug poisoning in the construction industry. Walk away with the confidence to recognize, support, and refer crew members in need. *Course registration fees are currently waived, with costs funded in partnership with Island Health and the BC Ministry of Mental Health & Addictions.
Colby Young, BSW, DPSM
No events to show
2021 marks the 5-year anniversary of the State of Emergency declared by the BC Government in 2016 in response to a dramatic increase in toxic drug poisoning deaths that year. While some services and prevention measures have been put in place to help reduce the number of toxic drug poisonings, the death toll continues to climb in British Columbia with 2020 being the deadliest year on record as communities across BC collectively lost 1,723 people.
In a report published by the BC Coroners Service in 2018, it was found that over half of those who died while employed were working in construction, trades, forestry, and transport – far higher than any other industry.
In partnership with Island Health, the Vancouver Island Construction Association (VICA) has developed this training to equip construction industry supervisors with the necessary tools to recognize and support staff in need while addressing stigma on the worksite.
What Will You Learn?
Course content will include:
- The current toxic drug poisoning epidemic
- Why this is an issue for members of the construction industry
- Why men are disproportionately at risk of toxic drug poisoning
- Harm reduction 101
- Mental health 101
- Mental Health First Aid
- Naloxone Training
- Colonization and Trauma
- Chronic Pain
- Local resources
- Classroom-style training including group discussions and exercises.
- Live, Online, Instructor-led training. This workshop is hosted on the Zoom platform. Access information and any course materials will be provided to you via email in advance of the training.
Course Requirements (Technology & Participation)
*Information for virtual, Live, Online sessions only
In order to attend, you’ll must make sure you have the following:
- Computer or laptop with webcam: This course will involve on-screen interaction with your instructor and classmates, reading/viewing on-screen content like slides or videos, and interacting via typing with questions or responses. For this reason, we do not recommend attend using a tablet or cell phone.
- A quiet space with minimal distractions: Please plan to be fully engaged in the class, and clear your work schedule just as you would for attendance in an in-class program.
We recommend that organisations who register staff for this training first schedule a Tailgate Toolkit: Toolbox Talk for their team. This talk is intended as an introductory conversation about the complex issues surrounding substance use within our industry. Not required but recommended.
Course Credits Information
Licensed Residential Builders (BC Housing)
- Virtual/Live, Online Course: Approved for 13 CPD, Informal
- In-Person Training: Not formally submitted to BC Housing for approved CPD as of October 2021. However, builders can still report training by selecting VICA as their training provider, and choosing "My Training is Not Listed," and entering the required information. For more information and help reporting your CPD, see the BC Housing website: https://www.bchousing.org/licensing-consumer-services/builder-licensing/CPD