- Gold Seal Credits: 2
Interpreting Blueprints & Specifications | Live, ONLINE
Using an example three-story commercial project, this practical course will teach you how to read and apply material schedules in construction drawings, cross reference plans, and scan/evaluate drawings for potential errors and omissions. You will also cover the basics of the three-part National Master Specification (NMS) and, by the end of the course, learn how to create specification sections based on ARCAT website software. *Students should be prepared to complete basic math exercises
12 Hours (4 days, 3 Hours daily)
$849.99 excl. GST
No events to show
Using an example three-story commercial project, this course will walk you through a complete set of architectural, mechanical, electrical, civil, and structural drawings. You will learn how to read and decipher a set of blueprints, including: plans, sections, elevations, plan details, and drawing conventions (standards, line weights, line types), and more! In second half of the course, you will learn the components of the three-part National Master Specification (NMS). By the end of the course, you will learn how to create specification sections based on ARCAT website software. *Students will need a calculator and be prepared to complete some basic math exercises
By the end of this course, you will:
- Understand what constitutes a “complete” set of drawings used in contract documents
- Be able to scan an entire set of drawings (A, C, S, M, E, L disciplines) and evaluate the degree of errors and omissions
- Learn how to cross reference plans, to building sections, to wall sections, to elevations, to details
- Be able to read and apply material schedules found in drawings
- Understand how tagging works to coordinate the information between material schedules and drawings
- Understand the components of a 3-part MASTERFORMAT specification, Division 1 General Conditions, and Division 2-49 of Technical Specifications
- Learn how to use the practical applications of ARCAT for specification editing
- Be able to develop specification sections and apply correct formatting
Live, Online, Instructor-led training.
- This course is facilitated by the instructor on the Zoom platform. Access information will be provided to you in advance of the training.
- You will be expected to have your webcam on during the class and participate in group discussions and other activities with your instructor and classmates during the course.
This course is delivered in partnership with local construction associations. You will be participating with a cohort of industry peers from multiple regions.
Course Requirements (Technology & Participation)
No special software is required for this course; however, students should have:
- Basic PDF reader
- 2-screen computer/laptop set-up (highly recommended). Your instructor will provide you with a set of digital blueprints. We recommend you have a second screen available so you can follow-along with the instructor.
- Students should be prepared to complete some basic math exercises.
- A quiet space with minimal distractions: plan to be fully engaged in the class and clear your work schedule just as you would for attendance in an in-class program.