- Gold Seal Credits: 5
Project Management | In-Person
This course will develop your skills and knowledge of how to manage a construction project. We will use the PMBoK (6th Edition) approach to gain an understanding of the various processes and constraints that project managers face on the job. You will also learn how to successfully manage a complex project and receive essential project planning tools to avoid risk and benefit your bottom line. Also available as a virtual course (See Project Management | LIVE, ONLINE)
2 days (7.5 Hours daily)
Mark Waters, CTech., GSC, BGC Partners Inc., Tim Williams, MBA, B.Econ., CPA, GSC
$849.99 excl. GST
No events to show
Also available as a virtual course. See Project Management | LIVE, ONLINE for upcoming dates.
This course will develop your skills and knowledge of how to manage a construction project. We will use the PMBoK (6th Edition) approach to gain an understanding of the various processes and constraints that project managers face on the job. You will also learn how to successfully manage a complex project and receive essential project planning tools to avoid risk and benefit your bottom line.
Please note: *2 Gold Seal credits awarded for attendance only; 5 credits awarded for both attendance and acceptable completion of optional homework assignment as outlined below.
What will you learn?
By the end of the course, you will:
- Understand the importance of project planning
- Understand the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBoK)
- Be able to use the appropriate industry standardized contracts and/or Purchase Orders
- Be able to use risk management tools and mitigate for risk
- Understand the estimating process
- Understand the importance of scheduling and use appropriate scheduling tools
- Understand expectations management and adapt communication accordingly
- Understand the components of projects – labour, materials and overheads – and use of techniques to maximize job profitability and minimize costs
- Be able to do post-mortem analysis after project completion
- Understand the impact and methodology of construction cost control
- Be able to use site and office project cost control methods
- Be able to use Construction Industry Codes to analyze costs vs budget
- Be able to adapt the project estimate to a project budget
- Understand how job costing fits within the overall accounting systems
- Understand Return on Investment (ROI) and how it impacts required project profit margins
- Understand the contract process from bidding to project close-out
- Understand the importance of cash flow projections for construction companies
Who Should Attend?
This course is for construction owners, managers, estimators, supervisors, and staff.
Optional Assignment (for additional Gold Seal credit):
An optional assignment will be available to complete after the in-class course for students seeking additional Gold Seal credits. This online component is administrated by the instructor and will be provided and explained to students by the instructor in-class. It will be based on the in-class material and may include some research, reading, and answering questions (7-8 hours) that will be marked by the instructor.
We recommend that students have some experience working in a construction company and have familiarity with construction management language and processes.
Those with less experience are welcome to attend but may find it hard to absorb and appreciate the material without prior experience or context.