Taking Care of #1 This Winter
The end of the year is a joyous time, but for some people it can be difficult. This year, instead of worrying about finding the perfect gift, attending all the parties or pretending everything is perfect, make sure you make time to take care of yourself and put your well-being first.
The holiday season can bring added pressures, such as travelling, busy schedules, financial strain, increased expectations and sad memories. These demands can affect your well-being, especially for people dealing with loneliness, trauma, grief, mental illness or substance-use challenges.
To help manage your wellness this holiday season, keep these simple tips in mind.
- Talk it out. Just because it’s the holidays does not mean you cannot be honest about how you are feeling. Sometimes talking to a loved one, a trusted friend or a health-care professional can make all the difference.
- Do not over-extend yourself. Prioritize your time so you can relax and enjoy the season with people you care about.
- Beware of overindulgence. Because alcohol is a depressant, having a few too many spirits can actually dampen your spirit. Also, too many treats can leave you feeling tired and lethargic. Try to maintain your regular eating and sleeping habits as much as possible.
- Stay within budget. Finances can become a huge source of stress. Make yourself a budget for the season and stay within it.
- Practice stress-busting activities all year. By managing your wellness throughout the year through exercise, meditation, time with friends and family or other activities, you will have an easier time coping with the stressors the festive season can bring.
By taking the time to take care of yourself, you and your loved ones can have a happier, healthier holiday season.
For emergencies, call 9-1-1. For emotional support or assistance, contact the Vancouver Island 24 Hour Crisis Line:
Mental Health Digital Hub: This is a provincial website that provides information, services and education and awareness about mental health and substance use for adults, youth and children: www.gov.bc.ca/mentalhealth
Discover more resources and read the original press release: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2018MMHA0064-002418
Targeted relief on Aluminium and Steel: Stability is still needed
Taking Care of #1 This Winter
Island construction companies support local families through VICA's Holiday Toy Drive
Lean Construction: Changing The Way Industry Works Together
CVRD Issues RFP for Water Treatment Project Following Grant Funding Announcement
Victoria Airport Authority Announces New Directors; Paul Gerrard of Irwin Industries Elected
Canadian Construction Industry on the Hill: Unite. Evolve. Lead
CCA applauds government’s initiatives to restore business confidence
Q3 2018: Apartment building stalls in the CRD; growth accelerates in the Alberni-Clayoquot & Mount Waddington RD
Contract Awarded for Coastal Communities Social Procurement Initiative
Gender Equality Conference Aims to Explore Gender Biases in the Workplace
NIC Plumbing apprentice urges women to explore the trades
October 31: A Spirited Time for the Construction Industry
Suicide the second leading cause of death in the construction industry
A fresh face for the Vancouver Island Construction Association Board of Directors
Legislation better protects temporary foreign workers from exploitation
VICA Members Volunteer Time & Supplies for HeroWork's latest "Radical Renovation"
GVHA and City of Victoria begin work on Ship Point repair project
Kwispaa LNG, co-managed by Steelhead LNG and Huu-ay-aht First Nation, files project description
Adding computational power to construction sites
Two more Canadian LNG projects inching towards construction
Provisional safeguard measures: a blow to the construction industry
WorkSafeBC raising awareness about impairment in the workplace
Building Links celebrates 25 years and new ownership!
BECOME A MEMBER TODAY!
The construction industry is a dynamic and exciting realm that faces both unique challenges and extraordinary opportunities. By joining VICA, you not only build your business, but you also build up the industry you're proud to be a part of.JOIN NOW