City of Victoria preparing industry for November enactment of BC Energy Step Code
City of Victoria Council adopted the BC Energy Step Code on April 26, 2018. The adopted approach was the result of nine months of industry engagement in order to arrive at an approach that balances industry readiness, cost implications, and City climate action goals.
The purpose of this message is to provide industry members with ample notice so that preparations can be made in advance of November 2018 enactment.
What is the BC Energy Step Code?
- The Step Code is a provincial standard that establishes progressive performance steps in energy efficiency for new buildings from the current BC Building Code level to net zero energy ready buildings by 2032.
- The Step Code will apply to new residential and commercial buildings. To comply, builders must use energy modelling software and on-site air tightness testing to demonstrate that both their design and the constructed building meet the requirements of the Step Code.
What Step(s) did the City adopt?
The adopted approach, including timelines, is summarized in the image below, and was recommended based on feedback heard from industry throughout the engagement process that began in September 2017.
* staff will be taking a monitoring approach after January 2020, in order to determine the timing for implementation of the higher Steps of the code after this time.
How does this affect my project and timelines?
- Building permits applied for prior to November 1st, 2018 will be considered in-stream and will not be subject to Step Code requirements.
- Building permits applied for between November 1st, 2018 and December 31st, 2019 will need to demonstrate compliance with Step 1 of the Step Code.
- Building permits applied for after January 1st, 2020 will need to demonstrate compliance with the Steps adopted for that particular building typology (see summary image above).
Need more info?
- More information about the Step Code, the industry engagement approach, feedback heard, and final recommendations can be found online on the City’s Green Building page.
- More information and resources on the Step Code, including the Provincial Best Practices guide, Design Guide, costing study, technical webinars, and FAQs, can be found at energystepcode.ca
- If you have further questions, you can contact Devon Miller, Community Energy Planner at City of Victoria at firstname.lastname@example.org
NIC Plumbing apprentice urges women to explore the trades
October 31: A Spirited Time for the Construction Industry
Suicide the second leading cause of death in the construction industry
A fresh face for the Vancouver Island Construction Association Board of Directors
Legislation better protects temporary foreign workers from exploitation
VICA Members Volunteer Time & Supplies for HeroWork's latest "Radical Renovation"
GVHA and City of Victoria begin work on Ship Point repair project
Kwispaa LNG, co-managed by Steelhead LNG and Huu-ay-aht First Nation, files project description
Adding computational power to construction sites
Two more Canadian LNG projects inching towards construction
Provisional safeguard measures: a blow to the construction industry
WorkSafeBC raising awareness about impairment in the workplace
Building Links celebrates 25 years and new ownership!
Another Brick In Nepal (ABIN) continues work on Sharada School in Aapchaur
Canada's fist large-scale LNG export facility gets green light by joint venture participants
Kinetic & EllisDon announce joint venture for UVIC's New Student Housing & Dining Facility
Herold Engineering Ltd. announces four new Principals
Indigenous students continue to gain meaningful employment through marine industry partnerships
Women in Construction: Facing a shortage of skilled labourers, this CEO embraces a different approach to hiring
Speculation Tax: Local leaders tell province to let them decide
VICA Members: 25% off at Mark's Work Wearhouse Thursday, September 20th
Port Alberni Awards Largest Construction Contract in Municipal History
BECOME A MEMBER TODAY!
The construction industry is a dynamic and exciting realm that faces both unique challenges and extraordinary opportunities. By joining VICA, you not only build your business, but you also build up the industry you're proud to be a part of.JOIN NOW