CCA Survey: The impact of the recently instituted trade tariffs on the construction industry
In order to press the government to mitigate the effects of the recently instituted tariffs, we would appreciate your help in quantifying the impact on our member companies. To realize the impact on construction companies across the nation, CCA has designed a short, seven-question survey. Please provide your feedback before July 31st.
On June 29, 2018, the Government of Canada announced that in a direct, measured and proportional response to the US tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminum, reciprocal tariffs will be imposed on imports of steel, aluminum and other products from the United States and will come into effect on July 1, 2018.
Canada’s tariffs had three focus points in mind:
- Provide support to Canadian steel and aluminum industries;
- Include goods which have Canadian or non-American alternatives available;
- Target end-use products to avoid goods in manufactured chains that may hurt Canadians.
- On June 1, CCA publicly stated that a trade war will have a negative effect on both sides of the border and urged both sides to come to an agreement to re-establish bilateral trade trust.
- On June 12, CCA wrote to Prime Minister Trudeau asking his government for some concrete measures to provide relief from the effects of the tariffs that could include:
- Accelerated depreciation of members’ equipment which would allow companies to quickly recover the cost of their investment in equipment.
- For all federal Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC) and infrastructure program contracts, a mechanism protecting contractors against price fluctuations due to steel and aluminum tariffs.
- A research and development fund allocated to the Canadian construction industry. In the last budget, the government centralized all its innovation programs, but it would be appropriate for the government to reserve a part of this money to the construction industry to improve its productivity and competitiveness.
CCA is proud to be supported by its 20,000 members and will continue to defend the industry’s best interests. In the meantime, if you have any questions or concerns, please contact our vice-president of public affairs Rodrigue Gilbert at 613-808-7435 or email@example.com.
Targeted relief on Aluminium and Steel: Stability is still needed
Taking Care of #1 This Winter
Island construction companies support local families through VICA's Holiday Toy Drive
Lean Construction: Changing The Way Industry Works Together
CVRD Issues RFP for Water Treatment Project Following Grant Funding Announcement
Victoria Airport Authority Announces New Directors; Paul Gerrard of Irwin Industries Elected
Canadian Construction Industry on the Hill: Unite. Evolve. Lead
CCA applauds government’s initiatives to restore business confidence
Q3 2018: Apartment building stalls in the CRD; growth accelerates in the Alberni-Clayoquot & Mount Waddington RD
Contract Awarded for Coastal Communities Social Procurement Initiative
Gender Equality Conference Aims to Explore Gender Biases in the Workplace
NIC Plumbing apprentice urges women to explore the trades
October 31: A Spirited Time for the Construction Industry
Suicide the second leading cause of death in the construction industry
A fresh face for the Vancouver Island Construction Association Board of Directors
Legislation better protects temporary foreign workers from exploitation
VICA Members Volunteer Time & Supplies for HeroWork's latest "Radical Renovation"
GVHA and City of Victoria begin work on Ship Point repair project
Kwispaa LNG, co-managed by Steelhead LNG and Huu-ay-aht First Nation, files project description
Adding computational power to construction sites
Two more Canadian LNG projects inching towards construction
Provisional safeguard measures: a blow to the construction industry
WorkSafeBC raising awareness about impairment in the workplace
Building Links celebrates 25 years and new ownership!
BECOME A MEMBER TODAY!
The construction industry is a dynamic and exciting realm that faces both unique challenges and extraordinary opportunities. By joining VICA, you not only build your business, but you also build up the industry you're proud to be a part of.JOIN NOW